Documents that are legally binding may need to be translated when the relevant parties have: emigrated or temporarily lived in a different country; got married in a country other than their own; possess assets abroad.

For couples getting divorced in the UK, English courts issue a Decree Absolute dissolving the marriage and a Consent Order laying out the agreement reached between the parties and the subsequent actions they need to take.

If these documents need to be presented to relevant authorities abroad, there may not be an equivalent in the legal system of the destination country. A Decree Absolute and a Consent Order will need to be provided along with a translation of each document.

Similarly, if a British couple divorce in another country, they will need to have the legal documents translated to provide to UK authorities where necessary.

Judgements issued by a Family court, for instance decisions related to custody and visitation rights, must also be translated when they will have implications in a foreign country.

Welcome Translation Experts are here to help

For court judgments and decrees, we have a network of experienced translators specialising in the legal sector. This ensures that your documents are in the hands of linguists with an understanding of legal jargon and the way the legal system works in the UK and in the country of their second language.

Legal documents often need certification to be accepted by foreign courts; if you require clarification about what this entails, consult our page on Certification or get in touch for an informal chat about your requirements.